Old House

The first Carmelite friars (caermers in Medieval Flemish) came to Ghent in 1287 and established themselves in an existing building on the Lange Steenstraat. The remains of that building, now known as the Oud Huis (‘the old house’), can be identified by the natural stone used in its walls. At the end of 15th century the friars commissioned a Calvary scene that was painted on the walls of the Oud Huis featuring a crucified Christ mourned by the Virgin Mary and a Carmelite friar. This was later painted over with a series of columns and portrait medallions in the 19th century.